Importance of Our Mission
Since our start in 1990, The Foundation has played a vital role in assuring access to modern healthcare services in Lompoc Valley. With our philanthropic support for capital improvements, we have enabled Lompoc Valley Medical Center to completely revolutionize the face of healthcare in Lompoc.
Our History of Growth
In the 1990’s The Foundation provided funds for the Lompoc Hospital’s emergency department expansions, room renovations, new bed purchases, and other capital improvements. This major undertaking was made possible by the completion of the Foundations first Capital Campaign.
Lompoc's New Hospital
In 1995 the state passed senate bill 1953 which requires all acute care facilities to meet rigid earthquake standards or close by 2030. When the costs to retrofit the old hospital exceeded $10 million Lompoc Valley Medical Center board of directors decided to pursue the construction of a new hospital. Measure E was passed in September 2005 by a wide margin. This approval authorized the board of directors to sell $74.5 million in bonds to fund the new hospital project. These bonds could only pay for the building's construction. Other very important needs like the land for the site of the new hospital, moveable equipment, and furniture had to be purchased using other sources. Instead, the philanthropic support from The Foundation made the project’s completion possible by purchasing the land and successfully completing a $4 million capital campaign to raise funds to purchase the vital equipment and furniture.